Graduate Assistantship: NOAA CoastWatch Outreach and Education
Duration: 9 months with possible extension to 12 months
Stipend: $15,438/9months; $20,584 for 12 months
Duties: The graduate assistantship is a 20-hour-per-week with flexible hours. The position will be based at the NOAA Center for Weather and Climate Prediction in College Park, MD with options for telework.
- Write blog posts on how CoastWatch/OceanWatch satellite data is used and oceanographic features that can be observed with satellites.
- Interview NOAA CoastWatch/OceanWatch scientists and produce “meet the scientist” videos.
- Maintain a list of publications from CoastWatch/OceanWatch scientists and publications that cite CoastWatch/OceanWatch data.
- Develop online tutorials for downloading and analyzing CoastWatch/OceanWatch satellite data products.
- Provide content to the NESDIS communications office for social media posts and newsletter publications.
Qualifications: The successful candidate will be an excellent student of English, with strong writing and grammar skills. Knowledge of satellite oceanography desirable but not required. Candidate must be capable of direct communication with scientists and NOAA staff. The student should have strong computer skills including use of word processing packages and basic graphics manipulation. Candidate should be capable of working independently and proactively.
To Apply: Please send a resume and statement of interest to Emily Smail (email@example.com) and Veronica Lance (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “CoastWatch Graduate Assistantship”. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Application review begins August 10, 2018.